Animal Welfare at slaughter and killing for disease control
This eLearning course is aimed at allowing participants to improve their knowledge and skills in:
- Relevant EU legislation (mainly focusing on Regulation (EC) N.1099/2009).
- Scientific basis for optimum pre-slaughter handling, stunning, slaughter and culling of animals (basic animal behaviour/physiology and basic anatomy).
- Animal keeping and assessment of keeping facilities.
- Main stunning and killing techniques at slaughterhouses in Europe and in the context of culling for disease control purposes.
- Animal welfare indicators (mainly from Welfare Quality® Protocols).
- Killing of animals in the context of animal disease epidemics.
The scientific contents are mainly focused on the following animal species: cattle, pigs, small ruminants and broiler chickens.
365 days access
- Average dedication: 8 hours
- 5 Units
How to Register
- Check the NCPs Contact List for details and links to more detailed information.
- If you are an governmental Official, from a EU Member State or from an invited Non-EU country, you can apply to the available eLearning courses, via the BTSF Online Application Form. In case you have any questions about the selection criteria, please consult with the relevant National Contact Point.
- If you are a staff member working in EU Institutions and wish to participate in a BTSF Online eLearning course, please write to HADEA-BTSF-ACADEMY-SUPPORT@ec.europa.eu from your official mailbox (email@example.com), to request registration.
- For any other enquiries please send a message to HADEA-BTSF-ACADEMY-SUPPORT@ec.europa.eu and the BTSF ACADEMY Team will be glad to assist you.